Saturday, June 19, 2010

Home sweet home...

I'm back from a hard 2 day trip to the Gulf. We left at 5:00 Thursday morning for Bayou le Batre. We hit the jackpot on the first stop we made. Got great interviews and video about how the BP oil spill has impacted the fishing industry. So sad to see these people suffer. Really heart breaking.

When we finished up there we stopped in Fairhope to Skype a live shot back to Huntsville. We couldn't get a strong enough signal out plus it was lightning so we scraped it. Todd and I headed to Foley to check into our hotel. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel itself was really nice. The fact that the AC didn't work in my room and the second room they moved me into was total aggravation. Third time really was the charm. A room with AC spewing out cold air at 68 degrees. Ahhhhh felt wonderful.

I hit the gym at the hotel to make sure I got my exercise in. It helped stretch my tired body too. I walked/ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes and peddled my legs off on the stationary bike for 30. I met my 3 point challenge for the week and I got a good workout. After a hot shower I slept like a baby.

We got up the next morning, ate breakfast, checked out of our hotel and drove south to Orange Beach. The weather was hot, humid but beautiful. We got to the beach and both of us were amazed at how few people were there. We got our camera equipment out and walked out to the water. The stinch of oil hit us like a brick wall. The water was dirty and greasy. The coastline is stained from the oil. And the beach was basically empty. We shot a ton of video and 2 look lives. When we finished up there we drove to WPMI to feed our stories. That's a really nice television station. Quitest newsroom I've ever been in. They would never survive the loud voices filling the air where I work ha/ha

When we left WPMI we grabbed a late lunch/early dinner then headed north. We got home around 9:30. I was happy to be back. It was a great trip though and I'm glad I got the opportunity to go.

Today I'm feeling very lazy. After all that walking on the beach my legs re tender ha/ha Today I've got to walk or swim. Can't afford to lose any exercise points :)

Happy Saturday!

No comments: