Monday, May 31, 2010

Passing of a great lady...


Early Sunday morning we lost my sweet Aunt Alta to congestive heart failure. She had been sick for some time. Even though we expected it, death is never easy on those left behind.


Her illness was terrible. She suffered so much before she left this Earth. I have no doubt she is out of pain now and happily reunited with the love of her life, Bill Roberts, who passed away last year. They were married 60+ years. I can just hear her bossing him around right now :) I am certain he's missed her dear voice.


My Aunt Alta was a very kind woman, yet stubborn, and perfectionisht. :) She was a faithful member of the Beltline Church of Christ, a dedicated student of God's word, and a believer in people. She helped "counsel" those who fell into troubled times. She opened her home to relatives and friends who needed a place to stay. She was a friend and a good influence to so many people. She would go out of her way to make a stranger feel welcome.


Her home was beautiful, spot on clean, and always ready for company. Friends and family could drop by unexpectedly and she would gladly welcome them in and offer a slice (or 2) of chocolate cake or some other sweet goody. Don't think you would eat a bite and leave. She could draw you in to her conversation and make even the worst day brighter with her laughter.


Aunt Alta could make you laugh, make you cry, and embarass you all at the same time. She loved to gossip and always told me that would be the one flaw on her record that would keep her out of the pearly gates. I think it was the one and only curse word I've ever heard her use on a regular basis. That word was sh*t. She was selective in its use and often kept it in the kitchen. She told me one day she had scaled back on using it because she didn't think it was very lady like ha/ha


Aunt Alta will be missed by so many, perhaps most by those who loved her so much. Who could forget her sense of style and her big heart. The stories she would tell of growing up, getting married young, and raising 2 children. I will remember most the church pew where she and Uncle Bill sat for so many years. It will always be special. So will, the black wrap she gave me for my birthday and the sweet card that now holds many sweet memories.


I am sad at her departing this life but joyful in her strong love for God and his church. I have no doubt she is in Heaven...where there are no tears, no pain, no saddness.


Her funeral is set for Tuesday afternoon. Our family will say goodbye...for now. We will see you again someday.


We love you and miss you....


No comments: