Friday, May 25, 2007

More to love than what it needs to be...

Ok. My reason for purchasing the "Fat Smash Diet" book is because I'm overweight. I said it. I'm admitting it. Now I'm doing something about it. I realized just how much I've gained when I sat down in the car to do a standup for my story. Not pretty. Thank goodness the time was cut short and I wasn't able to use it.

My testimonial....I don't eat right. I skip breakfast. Eat a big lunch. Then have a not-so-healthy snack (sometimes several) for supper. Ok. You are thinking "she's saving a lot of calories so why is she not thinner." It's a bad idea to skip as many meals as I do. According to the book, you need to eat 4-5 meals a day. That's breakfast, followed by a snack. Lunch followed by a snack. Dinner. On this diet, you have to eat! You also have to exercise. Arrggggg.

I've always had success with low-carb until recently. Not sure why that changed. Maybe my metabolism is a little out of wack. Maybe it's because I'm 33 years old. Maybe it's genetics. Maybe my stroke plays a role. Who knows.

Monday, I will begin phase 1, the detox stage. May the force be with me!

I thought I would share some of the food/drinks that are allowed in the first stage:

* All fruits in any quantity
* All vegetables in any quantity, except:
NO white potatoes
NO avocados
* Good sources of protein:
chickpeas (yum)
beans
tofu (yuck)
lentils
* Brown rice -- 2 cups of cooked rice per day (yeah!)
* 2 cups of low-fat or skim or soy milk per day
* As much water as you like! (boring)
* Oatmeal - 1 cup per day
* All herbs and spices
* 6 oz. low-fat yogurt (2 times a day)
* 4 egg whites per day
* 2 cups of herbal tea per day

Foods are ONLY to be eaten raw, grilled or steamed. Limit the olive oil and low-fat dressing.

Ok. Sounds blan but I like this kind of food. I really like fruit but I have to monitor my sugar. Here are a few suggestions for naturally low-sugar fruits.

Blueberries 3/4 cup = 11 grams
cantelope 1 cup = 12 grams
pear halves 1/2 cup = 12 grams (canned in water)
cranberries 1/2 cup = 2 grams
grapefruit 1/2 large = 12 grams
kiwi 1 med. = 8 grams
peach 1 med. = 9 grams
pear 1 med. = 11 grams
plumb 2 small = 11 grams
strawberries 1 cup = 7 grams
watermelon 1 cup = 10 grams

Again, I will be blogging my progress and some yummy Fat Smash recipes. Feel free to join in. If you are already watching what you are eating, congratulations! A healthy lifestyle is good for all of us!

1 comment:

Kari Sullivan said...

Good luck with that. I've been blessed so far not to have to worry about weight, but I know a lot of people who really struggle with it.

Peace out,
Kari