Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Its true what they say, you meet people for a reason

I blogged earlier today about covering the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. I mentioned an interview I had set up with a lady who now lives in Decatur after losing her home in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. I knew her story would be very emotional. When I talked to her on the telephone the day before, she couldn't stop crying. Now I understand why.

Juergen and I met Judy at her home in Decatur and instantly liked her. She and her husband moved here a few months after Katrina. She bought an old house and fixed it up. She's an interior designer. The inside is gorgeous! The outside, remodeled to look like her old home. She was able to salvage a gorgeous antique bed from her muddy backyard. That is the only piece of furniture she was able to save. All of her pictures are gone. Her home destroyed. Everything that meant something to her was washed away. Her story was emotional, incredible and horrifying. She spent 4 days on her roof top waiting for help. The only food she and her husband had was a small ziplock bag of crackers and half a bottle of water. She shared this with her neighbors.

Judy is one of the lucky survivors. Her husband's job relocated him to Decatur. She has a new home, new furniture, new clothes and a new life. None of these material belongings can replace the memories or friendships she had in her hometown. Judy is traumatized, understandably, from her experience. Underneath it all, she has a heart of gold. She's lonely and simply wants a friend. I believe God brings people into your life for a reason. Maybe my reason for meeting Judy was to give her a voice, and a way to begin the healing process. She also made a new friend in the process.

In other news...my mother and grandmother are on a 2 week trip. Today, they toured Mount Rushmore. Tomorrow its off to Canada. While they are gone, dad is in charge of feeding Momma Kitty, the ducks, geese and whatever else moves around there. 2 cans of food a day should fatten up momma kitty. I think she really likes her new home.

80% chance of rain today? I think the weather guy missed the forecast. That's ok with me. Working in the rain is a real drip :)

More later...

No comments: