Thursday, October 26, 2006

Mystery Trip...

Some of you may know this already. I went on a "Mystery Trip" with my mother earlier this week. We had such a good time! Here is a little of what happened.

I drug my weary self up around 4:30 Monday morning. After a shower and bowl of cereal, we loaded our bags in the car and left out for Hamilton. We got on the bus headed to Tupelo, Mississippi to pick up another group. At this point, we still didn't know where we were going.

Our first official stop was at a "Flying J's" truck stop. I had never heard of it but they've got them all over the country. "Flying J's" is an interesting place. You can buy a slice of pizza or a box of Chinese and pick up a pair of pajama pants all at the same store.



After stretching our legs, we loaded back on the bus. Paul, the brains behind our tour, informed us we we're going to Little Rock, Arkansas. I had never been there before so I was looking forward to it. As long as it wasn't Decatur or anywhere in North Alabama I was game. Once we left Memphis, the drive to Little Rock was actually surprising. The land is flat. The leaves on the trees are still very green. After riding through, I wouldn't classify it as "southern."

I learned Arkansas is famous for growing rice and harvesting cranberries. This photo is a rice field just off the main highway. I snapped it out my bus window.


Once we got into Little Rock, we stopped for lunch at the "River Front." I had a hot dog, loaded with ketchup, mustard, relish, kraut and yes, a few onions. Mom had the chili version. After lunch, we got back on the bus. We stopped for a 2 hour tour through the Clinton Presidential Library and Museum. I enjoyed the interactive video showing different rooms inside the White House and the meaning behind each piece of furniture. There is a penthouse in the top of the museum. The locals say they know when Clinton is visiting because he keeps the drapes open. :)


It didn't take long to walk through the presidential library. Mom and I went outside and snapped a few photos. This one where I'm standing in front of a rusty ole railroad bridge has some significant meaning. Former President Clinton's motto during his time in office was "building a bridge to the future." In the next few years, this bridge will be turned in to a pedestrian walk with shopping vendors. The water is a fountain out front that has nothing to do with the bridge. I thought it was cool.


We left the presidential library and checked into our hotel. The good part to traveling with Marion Tours is the fact they stay in really nice places. We freshened up a bit and then it was off to the Arkansas River for a dinner/entertainment cruise. I really liked that. We had delicious food. They served the most tender cut of chicken marinated in orange sauce with carrots and peas, spicy green beans, herb roasted potatoes, wild rice, a mouth-watering cesar salad, a homemade roll and for desert, peach cobbler with cream. This is a photo I took across the river from the boat we went on. The Arkansas River is not nearly as pretty as the Mississippi or the Tennessee.


After the cruise, it was back to the hotel. Mom and I watched part of "Walk The Line: The Johnny Cash Story." (one of my favorites). Then it was time to sleep and start it all over again the next morning.

Stay tuned...Part 2 coming soon!

1 comment:

Lydia said...

It's been a week, EG...I'm waiting for Part 2!! :-D