Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the power of the press...

I finally got time this evening to sit down and type a new blog entry. My camera guy, Juergen, or photojournalist as they like to be called, reminded me I haven't posted in a few days. So, Juergen, this one's for you!

I decided to write about what I do for a living and clear up any misconception that the life of a reporter is glamorous. No. There is no one to do my makeup or my hair. In fact, by the end of the day sunglasses holding my tresses back and a smear of chapstick is about all I've got time for. When the weather is bad, usually an embarassingly oversized rain coat with plastic sticky logos on the front and back is what you will find me in.

I work in an office on the 6th floor of a bank. The view is pretty nice. I start the morning at my desk, armed with a Diet Grapico and a bag of meat skins, making telephone calls. Around 9:30-ish our Huntsville folks will call me. After a few giggles, we talk about what -2- stories we will turn from our area. Normally, we turn 2 separate stories in 2 different counties while fighting to take a one hour mandatory lunch. Its not easy but in the famous words of Larry The Cable Guy, we "get-er-done."

On a good day, I try to make sure everything is on tape by 2:30. That gives me time to pick interview sound bytes, write both of my stories, then hand them over to Juergen to be edited. I write everything that has to do with my stories. Some producers will write the reporter's lead-in but not at this shop. that's fine. i would rather do it myself.

We work in what is called a bureau. Our schedule is different than that of most reporters. We have a lot more ground to cover (four counties) and sometimes we barley make the show. Today for example. This morning we spent our time stalking a bunch of divers off the Tennessee River. We got a tip they were searching the waters for evidence in a recent murder case. Turns out they were diving for mussles. NOT a lead story. After wasting time at the marina, we went to Bob Gibson's for lunch. Then it was on to Brookhaven Middle School to do a repeat story from last week. When we left the school, our other 2 stories fell apart. Thank goodness we got a copy of a 911 call from a carbon monoxide poisioning that happened a few weeks ago. The competition picked up on that one. It would have been bad if they aired it and we didn't.

When we got back to the office...more drama. Engineering came over to fix something. They thought it was our transmitter but turns out it wasn't. I didn't get the fully skinny on what the problem was.

On a lighter note, we were talking this morning about some of our adventures. Juergen and I have worked together about 4 or 5 years. He jokingly tells people we spend so much time together its like being married. I often beg for a divorce. Sure, we've had our fights. Some in the office, some right out in public. We've called each other every name in the book, thrown things at each other and have been so mad we wouldn't speak. When it comes right down to it, if something bad happened, we would be the first one at each others' side, carrying a loaf of fresh baked bread. I guess its true what they say, your co-workers become family.

I hope everyone has a safe Thursday.

No comments: