Saturday, September 02, 2006

good food vs overpriced food

I love to watch the Food Network. I get a lot of good recipes from Paula Dean. I try to always watch her show (if I can make it home for lunch at just the right time) or I will log on to www.foodnetwork.com to check out her latest dish. I got tickled watching another one of my favorite cooks while I've been off. Rachel Ray cooks 30 Minute Meals. Sometimes, what she fixes looks kind of nasty. This particular show she was making a meal for when you return home from a wedding. It was French sandwiches with a fried egg on top along with a few other not so tasty looking dishes. She was talking about a wedding she had been too where the food was very expensive but not very tasty. I remember a wedding I went to last year where the couple had this huge catered reception. The menu was something like salmon crepes with caper dip and spiced coconut shrimp with mongolian sauce. The chocolate covered strawberries even had a bad taste (I later learned they had been marinated in champagne). There is no telling how much money was spent on all that food that left me hungry when I got home. Now I can see why Rachel came up with an after wedding feast.

If and when the big day ever happens for me, you can be guaranteed there will be good food to eat. In fact, this guy my mother works with smokes the most delicious butts you've ever put in your mouth. I know for sure I would like to have that. Don't worry. There be cheese and fruit galore! No salmon or coconut crusted shrimp at this affair ( i hate coconut). Just plain old down to earth good food.

My dad is coming up today to take me out for supper. Problem is I can't decide between the delicious swiss and mushroom chicken from O'Bryans or a hearty hamburger steak from the Steak House in Moulton. Tough choices.

I'm waiting for a loaf of banana bread to come out of the oven. This is a sugar-free loaf, made with Splenda. Splenda is advertised as being just like sugar. I got news for ya. Not when it comes to baking. My dad is a diabetic and has to eat sugar-free foods. I am supposed to do the same. I just don't eat bread like that because if I can't have the real thing, I just won't eat the imitation. It smells delicious but it was like trying to stir wood putty when I was mixing it up. Keep your fingers crossed it turns out yummy (or at least edible).

October 1 is the Fiddler's Conventino in Athens. I love the Fiddler's Convention. Not so much for the music but the awesome booths they have set up. You can buy almost anything you want. I go to find good Christmas gifts. Thousands of people attend. You can't hardly find a parking place. Last year was the lowest attendance because the weather was kind of bad. That was fine by me because it takes a while to make it through all the booths when there is a crowd.

Labor Day will be here Monday. That is the "unofficial" end to summer. I love the hot weather and always dread to see the winter come. I do enjoy fall. That is one of my favorite seasons. This has been a hot, dry summer. I'm enjoying the cooler temperatures.

Its almost time for banana bread to come out of the oven. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

No comments: