Sunday, February 06, 2011

Push that hoe, pull that rake...

I'm past ready for warm weather to arrive. I'm most especially excited to plant a garden. Last year, Lane plowed a square spot in his back yard. I planted tomatoes, squash, cantelopes, watermelon, peppers, okra even flowers. I worked day and night babysitting that little plot of land. I bought cow manure at the co-op to nurish my plants, kept them fertilized and all but sang lullabyes. Finally-my hard work paid off-but not like I had planned. I had a few little tomatoes. The squash did pretty good. The peppers never fully matured. My watermelon vines were beautiful but only produced one little ball of a melon-that one rotted. My cantelope? Gorgeous vines...but that's all it was.

This year, I'm going to do container garden. I think it will be much easier, yield a better harvest, and it is a lot less back breaking. Plus, some kind of fungus got in my garden last year and rotted all my hard work.

Stay tuned. I will be blogging about my garden soon!




No comments: