Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Sweet for the sweet?

I'm like my daddy in more ways than one! It's something I've always been very proud of. My dad is not only dashingly handsome he's a gutsy fella as well. But of all the wonderful traits I could have inherited high blood sugar isn't the one I would have chosen. My dad found out he was diabetic years ago through a routine check up. He's very very disciplined with his eating too. My mother makes sure he stays on track by preparing foods and treats he can enjoy. He checks his sugar at least 3 times a day and he doesn't look twice at a pie or cake. I too battle keeping the sugar level in check. Sweets are not my passion and I rarely enjoy eating them. What I crave is something I always heard was good for you -- fruit!!! I don't just mean the occassional apple or orange either. I'm talking about a full out attack!!! I've been known to eat a basket of apples in one sitting. When I was a kid I could strip a plumb tree like a goat on a 10 day fast!!! I've always loved fruit but now I find its harder for me to feast on without paying the price. So hence the reason for this blog.

It's time to trim back my wicked ways and do something good for myself. I need to drop 30 pounds and get my sugar under control...not only for my own health but because there is way to much of me to love these days :) Don't believe me? Let me walk away from you and you will see what I'm talking about. The only way I can stay accountable for my fruit obsession is by posting my daily habits on this site. It may bore you, it may thrill you. It's got to be done!!

So I have enlisted help and adopted a new menu that encorporates all the healthy eating you can stand into meals and snacks. It's a no brainer! Everything is planned out for you. You follow the menu it does all the work! The good part -- its foods I love! The bad part -- execise is a MUST but thankfully not everyday of the week. That part you will probably see me struggle with.

The question here is -- can she do it? If you've read this blog before know for a fact that I CAN! I look forward to the challenge and tracking my progress. And as I go along I will tell you more about this "health eating plan" and hope it interests others to take that step as well.

So stay tuned and stay well!

1 comment:

John said...

Sorry to hear about your shared blood sugar problems. I, too, am diabetic, and so is my father and a few other relatives. I know something about the issues of diet and weight! I'm under control with meds, not needles, and diet and slow weight loss. (The best way, of course, is slow loss + exercise which I struggle to do.)

Everybody will give you advice; the best advice is knowledge. If you can take a class run by health care professionals, you'll have a foundation with which to believe or reject what others tell you. (Not that the pros are always accurate, but it's a reference point at least!)

I've got your blog on my RSS so I'll keep up with you, and I'll be rooting for you from the edge of the Poconos of Pennsylvania!