Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Are those teeth marks on your backside?

My wise mother always preached to me and my brother growing up that if you do something wrong to a person it will come back to bite you in the rear end. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

If you read my previous blog entry it didn't take you long to realize how furious I was over the incident with the talk show host. So were his listeners, or so I learned today. A number of my devoted fans called in to say they didn't approve of this talk show host tearing me down over the radio. And that no one deserved that kind of personal attack. I thank those people who stood up for me. As irritating as this job can be at times, its the viewers who think of you as family that make it all worth the while.

Let me say for the record, I enjoy talk shows. In fact, I wrote a 50 page paper in college related to talk shows because I always wanted to be a host. What I don't approve of is tearing a person down. Talk radio should be more to discuss the issues, a sounding board for today's hot topics. Instead, this person used his show to degrade someone who had done nothing at all to him. So, yes you could say he has lost some listeners and perhaps its because he opened his big mouth one to many times.

Wishing you a drama free day!

1 comment:

John said...

You go, Grrl! You're absolutely right; talk must stay focused on the issues, not the persons. It's fair to pick on Bush about how the war was managed, or Obama for wanting to wave the white flag and "cut and run" in retreat. It's fair to pick on Palin for her poor interviews, or Biden for his (Hilary) Clintonesque gaffes about coming under fire in a war zone. It's fair to critique Bill O'Riley about his misunderstanding of economics (eg the oil/energy industry) or Michael Moore about his mis-characterizations of socialized medicine. But these should be topical, not personal!

If the talk industry doesn't watch where it bites, it may face the reinstatement of the so-called "Fairness Doctrine" and, unable to balance regulated speech (who listens to Air America?), stations will pull the plug on talk and revert to lite pop music instead of risking their broadcast licenses.

Good for you for standing your ground; even better for the show's fans for letting the host know they didn't appreciate the unfair personal attack!