Monday, June 01, 2009

North bound and down...


Its day 2 of our trip north. This morning we ate breakfast (cold pancakes and warm milk) at our hotel, loaded up and headed out of Cincinnati. We stopped for lunch at Wendys in Toledo -home to Corporal Max Q. Klinger from the tv series MASH. After lunch we loaded the bus. I pulled out my portable DVD player and watched "Sweet Home Alabama" to help pass time.

I havent mentioned our bus driver yet. I think he learned to drive watching "Smokey And The Bandit."

Our bus was pulled over by the highway patrol just outside Gaylord, Michigan. Our bus driver was eating asphalt!! He got a warning ticket for going 84 in a 70!!!! Im sure the trooper felt sorry for him and realized he was driving a bus load of weakened bladdered Miss Daisies :) haha

We ate dinner at Bob Evans Restaurant in Gaylord. Its really a yankee version of
Cracker Barrel. I had a salad with ranch and steak tips and noodles from the "55 and older menu." It was pretty good but I like my recipe much better. After dinner we drove about an hour to our hotel. We are staying just a few feet from Lake Huron. Its not at all 5 stars but its comfy and the scenery is gorgeous! How many times in my life will I ever be able to say I touched the waters of Michigan.

The scenry up north is very different from Alabama. The land is flat, there are no brick buildings or brick homes. The people do not have central heat and air. However, the pine trees are gorgeous!!! They have beautiful spruce and fur trees. The food is typical northern food. No sweet tea, grits, biscuits or cornbread. Fried chicken is reay baked with a bread crumb topping and there seems to be a huge lack of fruit. Makes you miss the luxuries of the south- like heat and humidity!!

Tomorrow us a busy day! More later but want to leave skme assorted and random conversations i heard on the bus today! Enjoy!

Between 2 women near the middle isle "Is your husband dead? Not yet"
The woman sitting next to me talking to my mother about her son's business "I think he used to buy drugs from my son." Turns out her son is a pharmacist.
The same woman as we are driving to our hotel. "Lord I see the Atlantic Ocean." Keep in mind we are in Michigan. It was the Great Lakes!!

1 comment:

John said...

I must say, there's a lot about the north you've got wrong. But then, you're in Michigan, which is full of flat-landers and it's not part of the true north, which runs through Pennsylvania into the New England states. Michigan and Ohio and so on are only north of 'bama on the map...not north in culture!

We have Cracker Barrel, at least here in PA...and I've yet to go to a Bob Evans. You may be right on that point...and they may not know how to fry chicken. When I get fried chicken, it truly is deep-fried! Not baked at all.

The North (East) is full of brick homes with central heat and air. True, many don't need central air, because a lot of our summers don't linger above 90 for weeks at a time. A few days, maybe a few times across the summer, and that's enough for us. Michigan? A little colder, I'll give you that, too. But we've (almost) all got plenty of heat, often a furnace burning oil, gas, or coal, supplying hot water to radiators or forced hot air...

Come North, my friend, and see real hills, the eastern mountains of the Appalachians...which cover a band of states ranging from Georgia far into the New England region. My fair city, Hazleton, lies about 1600 feet above sea level, and within an hour's drive or two you can clime over 1,800 feet!

We're not flatlanders, not here in the true North! Come see what you're missing!

Yes, I do love your posts! Keep 'em comming!