Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Meeting "The Man"

Last Friday night, my mother and I had the priviledge of meeting retired NBC News Anchor Tom Brokaw. He was the guest speaker at the Freed-Hardeman University Benefit Dinner. I had been trying to swing "free" tickets for months, being that I am a member of the media. I had all but given up hope when 2 good friends of mine from church called and said they had 2 tickets and wanted to know if I would be interested in taking them. Are you kidding???? YES!! My friends brother made a $5,000 donation to the school and in return was sent 4 tickets. He GAVE those tickets to his brother who in turn GAVE me 2. I called my mom and asked if she wanted to go. She was thrilled! We drove to Henderson, ate dinner then went to Loyd Auditorium to hear Mr. Brokaw speak. He is truly a wonderful and entertaining person. Afterwards, we had our picture made with him. He is shorter than what I expected but, as always, dignified and professional. Thanks Yates family for the tickets and thanks Mr. Brokaw for a wonderful, memorable evening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth- This is Jud, Director of Marketing at FHU. I thought he was short too. I wanted to apologize for you not receiving "free" tickets. Next year, whomever our speaker may be, if you would like to cover the event, please be sure to email or call me and I will definitely take care of you. Thanks for being here.